Friday 2 May 2014

Braveheart girl turns AAP’s agent of change - The Times of India









Braveheart girl turns AAP’s agent of change

(2) My Face Book Posts May 3, 2014
She is no more "UNKNOWN" and in fact is now
MORE "KNOWN and POPULAR" than many other Corrupt,  "Career Politicians" who WARM their
Chairs in AC Offices and demand that their PALMS be Warmed up with GREASE!
From the album: Timeline Photos
By Aam Aadmi Party - Punjab
An unknown 19-year-old girl has become the most
sought-after volunteer of AAP in Punjab for single-handedly challenging
established political parties in her village in Sangrur

 






 Braveheart girl turns AAP’s agent of change - The Times of India



SANGRUR:
An unknown 19-year-old girl has become the most sought-after volunteer
of AAP in Punjab for single-handedly challenging established political
parties in her village in Sangrur.

No one wanted to be AAP's
booth agent during Lok Sabha voting in Bharaj village on Wednesday as
they feared they would be attacked by workers of other parties. But
braveheart Narinder Kaur fought her fears and came forward to become the
only agent in village.

An undergraduate student of Patiala's
Government College for Girls, Narinder is an ardent supporter of Arvind
Kejriwal and wanted to vote for satirist-turned-comedian Bhagwant Mann.


"Two boys from our village had volunteered to be polling agents but
they backed out at the last moment, apparently under pressure from their
families who were siding with other parties," Narinder said. "There was
a general feeling among villagers that it was wise not to antagonize
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leaders as it would create problems in getting
things done later," she told TOI.

"When I decided to take the
plunge, I didn't realize that I was doing anything unusual. However, I
got a lot of appreciation from relatives and villagers in private later.
Suddenly, cellphone cameras started flashing when Mann came to
congratulate me. My family is proud of my decision and my father even
filled in for me whenever I took breaks during the long polling
session," she recalled.

She says that she did my bit and expect
other girls from the village to contribute in their own small ways so
that people don't shy from supporting the party," said Narinder.


"There are scores of villagers who told me later that though they cast
their votes for our party, they had their compulsions in not coming out
openly. This is the problem in other areas as well," she said.


After she took on the challenge, there were other party supporters who
got rid of their initial hesitation to express their political
affiliation.

Mann said Narinder came to the rescue when leaders
of other parties had threatened their volunteers not to participate in
the polling process. "I even had an altercation with the local sarpanch
when I reached the village. I got to know of the problem in the night
and in the morning, rushed there and encouraged the girl to stay put,"
he said.

"On meeting her, I was remembered the old Punjabi song
'Balle ni Punjab di sher bachiye (Hail the lion-hearted daughter of
Punjab). Since there was no other volunteer for the party, AAP didn't
even have a polling booth while those were SAD were put up too close to
the polling station, in violation of the rules."

No comments:

Post a Comment