Tuesday 28 July 2015

Live: Kalam's last rites to be held in Rameswaram on Thursday - The Hindu

Live: Kalam's last rites to be held in Rameswaram on Thursday - The Hindu





Kalam's last
rites to be held in Rameswaram on Thursday-by
SWETA GOSWAMI-
The Hindu, July 29, 2015





https://www.facebook.com/shahabuddin.nadeem.7/posts/1010695138961674


A highly INSIGHTFUL description / anecdote /report
of the LAST SIX odd hours of Awal Pakeer Jainulabideen (Dr.) Abdul Kalam's life
by his CLOSEST ASSOCIATE of the LAST SIX YEARS Mr. Srijan Pal Singh who apparently
had become Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam's "MAN-FRIDAY"!
As the ANECDOTE / REPORT  TELLS us,for every minute of those LAST Six
hours Kalam Sahib was ACTIVE& BUSY in the "JOb on his HAND"-
preparing for, what eventually turned out 
to be his LAST& that too an UNFINISHED LECTURE to the students of
IIM-Shillong!





So he Literally Died the way he wanted to
"With his Boots On"while doing his job& MIRACULOUSLY,when the END
CAME,he Crossed over to REALM of other WORLD of Eternity with in a FLASH of a
SECOND,not feeling ANY PAIN whatsoever& also not troubling any of his
FRIENDS with Long DRAWN OUT SICKNESS!In our FAITH ISLAM,  we call such a GLORIOUSLY PAINLESS
END-KHATIM-E- BILKHAIR&with it u reach HEAVENLY PEACEFUL
ABODE!


NOW the REPORT / ANECDOTE DESCRIPTION from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam's "Man-Friday"- Mr. Srijan Pal Singh:




What I will be remembered for..
my memory of the last day with the great Kalam sir...



It has been eight hours since
we last talked – sleep eludes me and memories keep
flushing down,
sometimes
as tears. Our day, 27th July, began at 12 noon, when we took our seats in the
flight to
Guhawati.
Dr. Kalam was 1A and I was IC. He was wearing a dark colored “Kalam suit”, and
I
started
off complimenting, “Nice color!” Little did I know this was going to be the
last color I will
see
on him.




                     Long, 2.5 hours of flying
in the monsoon weather. I hate turbulence, and he had
mastered
over them. Whenever he would see me go cold in shaking plane, he would just
pull
down
the window pane and saw, “Now you don’t see any fear!”.




                  That was followed by another
2.5 hours of car drive to IIM Shillong. For these two
legged
trip of five hours we talked, discussed and debated. These were amongst hundreds
of the
long
flights and longer drives we have been together over the last six years.
 




As
each of them, this was as special too. Three incidents/discussions in
particular will be “lasting
memories
of our last trip”.
 



                    First, Dr. Kalam was
absolutely worried about the attacks in Punjab. The loss of
innocent
lives left him filled with sorrow. The topic of lecture at IIM Shillong was
Creating a Livable
Planet
Earth. He related the incident to the topic and said, “it seems the man made
forces are as
big
a threat to the livability of earth as pollution”. We discussed on how, if this
trend of violence,
pollution
and reckless human action continues we will be forced to leave earth. “Thirty
years, at
this
rate, maybe”, he said. “You guys must do something about it… it is going to be
your future world”




                    Our second discussion was
more national. For the past two days, Dr. Kalam was
worried
that time and again Parliament, the supreme institution of democracy, was
dysfunctional.
He
said, “I have seen two different governments in my tenure. I have seen more
after that. This
disruption
just keeps happening. It is not right. I really need to find out a way to
ensure that the
parliament
works on developmental politics.” He then asked me to prepare a surprise
assignment
question
for the students at IIM Shillong, which he would give them only at the end of
the lecture.
He
wanted to them to suggest three innovative ways to make the Parliament more
productive and
vibrant.
Then, after a while he returned on it. “But how can I ask them to give
solutions if I don’t
have
any myself”. For the next one hour, we thwarted options after options, that
come up with his
recommendation
over the issue. We wanted to include this discussion in our upcoming book,

                   “ Advantage India”. 

Third, was an experience from the beauty of his
humility. We were in a convoy of 6-7 cars. Dr.
Kalam
and I were in the second car. Ahead of us was an open gypsy with three soldiers
in it. Two
of
them
were sitting on either side and one lean guy was standing atop, holding his
gun. One hour
into
the road journey, Dr. Kalam said, “Why is he standing? He will get tired. This
is like
punishment.
Can you ask for a wireless message to be given that he may sit?” I had to
convince
him,
he
has
been probably instructed to keep standing for better security. He did not
relent. We tried radio
messaging,
that did not work. For the next 1.5 hours of the journey, he reminded me thrice
to see
if
I can hand signal him to sit down. Finally, realizing there is little we can do
– he told me, “I want
to
meet him and thank him”.
                   Later, when we landed in IIM Shillong,
I went inquiring through security people and got
hold
of the standing guy. I took him inside and Dr. Kalam greeted him. He shook his
hand, said
thank
you buddy. “Are you tired? Would you like something to eat? I am sorry you had
to stand
so
long because of me”. The young lean guard, draped in black cloth, was surprised
at the
treatment.
He lost words, just said, “Sir, aapke liye to 6 ghante bhi khade rahenge”.
 



After
this, we went to the lecture hall. He did not want to be late for the lecture.
“Students should
never
be made to wait”, he always said. I quickly set up his mike, briefed on final
lecture and took
position
on the computers. As I pinned his mike, he smiled and said, “Funny guy! Are you
doing
well?”
‘Funny guy’, when said by Kalam could mean a variety of things, depending on
the tone
and
your own assessment. It could mean, you have done well, you have messed up
something,
you
should listen to him or just that you have been plain naïve or he was just
being jovial. Over
six
years I had learnt to interpret Funny Guy like the back of my palm. This time
it was the last
case. 



                     “Funny guy! Are you doing
well?” he said. I smiled back, “Yes”. Those were the last
words
he said. Two minutes into the speech, sitting behind him, I heard a long pause
after
completing
one sentence. I looked at him, he fell down.
 



                        We picked him up. As
the doctor rushed, we tried whatever we could. I will never
forget
the look in his three-quarter closed eyes and I held his head with one hand and
tried
reviving
with whatever I could. His hands clenched, curled onto my finger. There was
stillness on
his
face and those wise eyes were motionlessly radiating wisdom. He never said a
word. He did
not
show pain, only purpose was visible.
 



                          In five minutes we
were in the nearest hospital. In another few minutes  they
indicated
the missile man had flown away, forever. I touched his feet, one last time.
Adieu old
friend!
Grand mentor! See you in my thoughts and meet in the next birth.
 



                             As I turn back, a
closet of thoughts opened.
 



Often
he would ask me, “You are young, decide what will you like to be remembered
for?” I kept
thinking
of new impressive answers, till one day I gave up and resorted to tit-for-tat.
I asked him
back,
“First you tell me, what will you like to be remembered for? President,
Scientist, Writer,
Missile
man, India 2020, Target 3 billion…. What?” I thought I had made the question
easier by
Giving
him options, but he sprang a surprise on me. “Teacher”, he said.
 



Then
something he said two weeks back when we were discussing about his missile time
friends.
He
said, “Children need to take care of their parents. It is sad that sometimes
this is not
happening”.
He paused and said, “Two things. Elders must also do. Never leave wealth at
your
deathbed
– that leaves a fighting family. Second, one is blessed who  can die working, standing
tall
without any long drawn ailing. Goodbyes should be short, really short”.
 



 Today, I look back – he took the final
journey, teaching, what he always wanted to be remembered
doing.
And, till his final moment he was standing, working and lecturing. He left us,
as a great
teacher,
standing tall. He leaves the world with nothing accumulated in his account but
loads of
wishes
and love of people. He was a successful, even in his end.
 



                         Will miss all the
lunches and dinners we had together, will miss all the times you
surprised
me with your humility and startled me with your curiosity, will miss the
lessons of life
you
taught in action and words, will miss our struggles to race to make into
flights, our trips, our
long
debates. You gave me dreams, you showed me dreams need to be impossible, for
anything
else
is a compromise to my own ability. The man is gone, the mission lives on. Long
live Kalam.




Your
indebted student,






An irredeemable LOSS to the NATION-Sun has Set?


Live:Kalam's last rites 2 be held in Rameswaram on
Thursday-The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article7472916.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment