Tuesday 14 April 2015

My DNA is 100% Maharashtrian, says Shobhaa De - The Hindu

My DNA is 100% Maharashtrian, says Shobhaa De - The Hindu





My DNA is 100% Maharashtrian,
says Shobhaa De-- The Hindu, April 14, 2015

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/article7099528.ece


Writer Shobhaa De. Photo: Vivek Bendre

“Nobody can appropriate a culture, a city, a State and claim to represent it exclusively”

Author Shobhaa De, facing a privilege motion moved by a Shiv Sena MLA, explains her position to Satish Nandgaonkar & Omar Rashid in an email interview.
Have you received the privilege motion notice, which, reports said, has been sent to you?
Not so far. Though the Principal Secretary has sent out a press statement saying the notice was sent two days ago.
You are a Maharashtrian and have equal right to speak for yourself. But in a politicised scenario, who gets to speak on behalf of the Marathi manoos? Does the Sena’s claim to representing the Marathi sentiment have any merit? Do you think the common Marathi’s views are best represented by the Sena and its vitriolic editorials?
I am an Indian. That is the single most important identity for me. I was born in Maharashtra, to Maharashtrian parents and am immensely proud of my Maharashtrian roots, and rich cultural legacy. Nobody can appropriate a culture, a city, a State, and claim to represent it on an exclusive basis. I would like to ask the Shiv Sena: Who is this Marathi Manoos? Can they define that in precise terminology? Who decides which person qualifies as a Marathi Manoos, and which doesn’t? Anybody who identifies with, and contributes to the great cultural traditions of Maharashtra, lives here (or doesn’t), is proud of Maharashtra’s contributions to the nation, is a Marathi Manoos. This has nothing to do with how proficient one is in the local language. Nor does it have anything to do with food preferences. I have lived most of my life in Mumbai. Whatever I have made of my life, I owe to this wonderful, cosmopolitan city, which is multicultural and multi- lingual. I am a product of its progressive, liberal environment. I consider that my great good fortune. Why am I pushed into a corner from time to time and asked to “prove” my credentials as a Maharashtrian? My DNA is 100% Maharashtrian. As far as I am concerned, that’s good enough for me. It should be good enough for everyone else, too. I don’t think my eating or not eating vada pav makes me a better/lesser Maharashtrian. That sort of a frivolous, absurd yardstick used to ‘judge’ a person’s loyalty to the State is an insult to Maharashtra.
You had to come out and explain that you love Marathi films. Why was that necessary? You can be a Marathi, agree or disagree with Marathi art or culture, like or dislike Marathi films, and yet be a responsible citizen.
It is demeaning to demand such clarifications and explanations from ANYBODY! But since I have always been a great admirer of Marathi cinema and written about it in several columns over the years, I wanted to put the record straight once and for all.
Today you tweeted — Sania Mirza: Global Superstar. India’s pride. People’s darling. Hope she can still vote! — mocking the newest Sena demand for disenfranchising Muslims to stop vote-bank politics.
My tweet says whatever I wanted to in this matter. There is nothing more I want to add to that comment.
How do you see the two controversies involving the Shiv Sena — the protest against your tweets on Marathi cinema in prime time at multiplexes and the demand of disenfranchising Muslims to expose vote-bank politics? Does that signify rising intolerance of the Sena?
Rising panic, more like it.
Sena’s partner BJP has distanced itself from both the controversies.
Several BJP leaders have reached out to me to express support. But I am not seeking support from any quarter. Least of all from a political party. The most important support I have received in abundance and which I am truly touched by, has been from the average, anonymous citizen across India. This issue is much bigger than I am. This fight is no longer about just me. I am capable of handling my own battles. I have consistently taken a stand against parochial thinking, bigotry, narrow mindedness and intimidation. I will continue to do. It is heartening to know (in the wake of what happened last week) that there are millions of citizens who feel the same way. It is a wake-up call for all political parties who think they can browbeat people into submission. The environment has changed! I don’t belong to a political party. I am not an activist. Nor am I a lobbyist with a large corporate backing. But I have a voice as a citizen of a vibrant democracy. And the Constitutional right to use it appropriately. I will not surrender this right.
Do you also see a dualism within the Sena? Aaditya Thackeray bats for Mumbai’s green lungs, nightlife and Net neutrality, while another section of the Sena goes hardline in the Saamna?
I see it as a shrewd move to court different constituencies. By speaking the language of the young, and appealing to their lifestyles. Aaditya is certainly on the right track. Don’t forget, Mumbai’s nightlife generates a huge amount of money! Net neutrality and environmental issues are important and appealing to the youth. It’s the old ‘good cop, bad cop’ approach and I see it as a last ditch effort by the Sena to remain relevant and pretend it still exerts enormous clout and control over Mumbai and Maharashtra. To all appearances, it appears to be a political party poised to self-destruct.

MY TAKE on this Interview of the COURAGEOUS LADY SHOBHA DE in The Hindu, Dated April 14, 2015.


A COURAGEOUS
LADY in this DAY&AGE of COWARDLY Politician MEN!
My
DNA is 100% Maharashtrian,says Shobhaa De-The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/article7099528.ece













No comments:

Post a Comment